Vietnam Visa Extension and Renewal
This article will explain to the customers all the information about Vietnam visa extension and renewal so that you can extend your stay permit in Vietnam without leaving the country. It covers:
- Where to extend Vietnam visa
- How to extend visa in Vietnam
- Vietnam visa extension cost
This section will let you know what is exactly visa extension and renewal in Vietnam and how they are different from each other.
Visa extension is an action that is applied for foreigners who wish to prolong their current stay in Vietnam without leaving the country. By this action, you will get an extension stamp on your passport indicating your new stay duration.
Note: Visa extension is good for single entry only.
Visa renewal is almost the same as visa extension as it also allows foreigners to extend their stay in Vietnam without leaving the country.
However, if you renew your visa, you will be granted a new visa sticker and stay duration stamp on your passport with the new duration permission. And therefore, the visa renewal fee is higher than the visa extension fee because you must pay the stamping fee and visa sticker fee.
Note: This service is now not offered by the Vietnam Immigration Office. We will keep you updated immediately upon new developments.
Visa Extension/Renewal Requirements
To extend/review Vietnam visa, your original passport must:
- be valid for at least 06 months from the time of extension/renewal.
- have at least 02 blank pages.
Why should you choose a visa extension?
- The only choice to continue remaining in Vietnam legally after your visa expiry date without leaving the country as visa run is not available during COVID 19
- Save your cost as the extension fee is much cheaper than the renewal fee.
- Avoid being taken into the blacklist of the Vietnam Immigration Department because of overstaying.
- Have more time to settle your business in Vietnam which might be interrupted if you leave Vietnam and then come back with a new visa, or cannot come back in COVID 19.
Where to Extend Visa in Vietnam
The following Immigration offices are those in charge of extending visa in Vietnam.
- Hanoi immigration office: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Immigration office in Da Nang: 78 Le Loi, Thach Thang, Hai Chau, Da Nang
- Immigration office in Ho Chi Minh City: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)
How to extend Vietnam visa
You can apply for a visa extension on your own directly at the Vietnam Immigration Department or apply through our Vietnam visa extension service for your convenience.
In case you use our visa extension service, you only need to go through the following 3 steps to get your visa successfully extended.
- Step 1: Send us a soft copy of your passport and the page containing your current Vietnam visa and we will inform you whether your visa can be extended or not
- Step 2: Send your original passport to our address and pay the extension fee
- Step 3: Get your passport with extended stay within 8 working days normally or 3 working days in urgent case upon your request
Vietnam Visa Extension Cost and Duration
The visa extension Vietnam can be applied for types of visas as below:
- extend original visa exemption for up to 1 months;
- extend original 1 month tourist visa for 1 month;
- extend original 1 month business visa for up to 3 months;
- extend original 3 months tourist visa for 1 month;
- extend original 3 months business visa for up to 3 months;
- extend original 5 years visa exemption certificate for up to 6 months;
- extend original e-visa for up to 3 months;
- extend 1 year tourist visa for US passport holder (tourist/business) for 1 month;
- extend 1 year business visa for US passport holder for up to 3 months;
- extend temporary stay of APEC Business Travel Card holders for up to 3 months.
Question And Answer
Question: I have received a citizen identity card replacing 9-digit identity card. How can I apply for an electronic ordinary passport ?
Answer: According to the Circular No. 73/20-21/TT-BCA dated June 29, 2021 of the Ministry of Public Security on passport forms, travel documents and related forms (came into effective from 14/02/2018) if the blank copies of old forms of passport already provided to agencies have not been fully issued, they will continue to be used. Therefore, at present, the Immigration Department still issues old-form passports. From January 1st 2022, it will be agreed to use a new passport form, including a passport with an electronic chip. Old passports issued before January 1st, 2022 are valid until the expiry date of the passport, no need to renew the passport.
Question: I work in Hanoi but have a household registration of Vinh Phuc. I would like to renew my passport, may I need to return to my hometown or may I be able to renew it at my temporary residence ? Can I send my application by post ?
Answer: According to the Law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens, the application for first time passport shall be submitted at the Immigration Offices of the province/city where he/she permanently/temporarily resides. In case of having a citizen identity card, it can be submitted at the Immigration Department/Division where convenient.
If passport is issued for the second time, the application can be submitted at the Immigration Division where convenient or the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security.
According to regulations, Vietnamese citizens applying for a passport can make online declaration, but they need to go to the headquarters of the Immigration Offices submit documents and fees.
Question: I had a passport but I changed my identity card into a citizen idetity card with a chip. Will this change affect my passport when applying for a visa ?
Answer: Currently there is no regulation that a citizen must change hiss/her passport when he/she changes identity card to citizen identity card with a chip. However, you should change the passport according to the new number of citizen identity card for the purpose of being convenient and consistent with all the types of documents.
For further information (if any) or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Vietnam Immigration Department
Contact Vietnam Immigration Department
I. Contact details
– Website: https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn
– Email: email@example.com
– For instructions on procedures for foreigners’ entry into, exit from and residence in Vietnam, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– For instructions on procedures for entry and exit of Vietnamese citizens, email: email@example.com
– For inquiries related to immigration violations, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Headquarters in Hanoi
– Address: 44-46 Tran Phu Street, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi.
– Tel: 0243 8257941
– Fax: 02438243287, 02438243288
– For instructions on procedures for entry and exit of Vietnamese citizens, tel: 0243-8260922
– For instructions on procedures for foreigners’ entry into, exit from and residence in Vietnam, tel: 0243 8264026
2. Headquarters in Ho Chi Minh City:
– Address: 333-335-337 Nguyen Trai Street, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
– Tel: 028 39202300
– For instructions on procedures for entry and exit of Vietnamese citizens, tel: 028.38386425
– For instructions on procedures for foreigners’ entry into, exit from and residence in Vietnam, tel: 028 39200365
II. Working hours:
Vietnam Immigration Department is open from Monday to Friday and Saturday morning, except for public holidays.
– In the morning: 08.00 am – 11.00 am
– In the afternoon: 13.30 pm – 16.00 pm
Note: If you would like to carry out immigration procedures in case of emergency outside working hours, please contact officers on duty at the headquarters or tel: 0243 8260114
Resource: from Vietnam-visa.com & VIETNAM IMMIGRATION DEPARTMENT official website.
Hanoi Packers and Movers – your preferred professional packing and moving company for homes and offices. We ensure that your belongings are packed and moved quickly and safely. What are you looking for? Small Move or a big move?
Hanoi Movers Can help ease the burden of moving any distance, long or short. We can customize your personal moving plan to handle as much as you need. From full service moving to pack& storage options, Hanoi Movers will serve as your trusted guide through the entire process